Open Door in your language
Open Door is a friendly community centre at the Carlton public housing estate that helps local migrants and refugees. We offer a place to socialise, participate in workshops, borrow equipment, improve language skills, learn life skills, access information, and get advice
Our programs include:
- Individual support with forms and services
- Employment assistance (resumes, interviews, career planning)
- Referrals to legal aid, counselling, community groups
- English conversation classes
- Sewing and art workshops.
We provide free services to assist eligible migrants & refugees living in public housing with everyday needs. We help with:
- Filling out forms
- Advocating to Centrelink, Housing & other government services
- Setting up MyGov & email accounts
- Citizenship/passport applications
- Bills & other debts (advice and support)
- Legal, financial & counselling referrals
- Education & training courses
- Enrolling in our art and wellbeing courses
- Joining Cultivating Community’s Kitchen Library
The first of its kind in Australia, the Carlton Kitchen Library offers the local community an opportunity to loan kitchen appliances and equipment to support their latest cooking project, program or event! Organised by Cultivating Community it is housed at CNLC’s Open Door centre.
- $40/year for an adult
- $20/year for a concession
- $50/year for businesses
One-off event borrowing:
$20. Please get in contact if you have an upcoming event so we can confirm stock availability!
Open Door, 480 Lygon Street Carlton Carlton 3053
Phone: 9429 3084
Monday – Thursday:
9:30 AM–12:30 PM
Friday – Sunday:
Become a member online today!
1. ‘Create Account’ Here
2. Fill out your contact details
3. Read and sign off on our Membership Agreement and Waiver of Liability.
4. Select which membership you would like and pay the member fee.
All money goes straight back into maintaining the library, purchasing kitchen equipment and towards community workshops.
Get in contact if you are a business wanting to join.
Borrowing and Returning
To borrow: Always bring in a photo ID to the library when borrowing.
You can borrow 5 items at a time for two weeks,and renew your items one time (so you can have an item for a maximum of four weeks).
We ask that all items are returned clean.
Reserve an item
If you are hoping to borrow plates, bowls, cutlery or cups for an event – it is best to contact us a few weeks prior!
To reserve an item online:
You are also welcome to email us with your reservation requests.
Give your unwanted items a new life
Check out our wish list here: https://tinyurl.com/vmzre8u
Get in contact with Peta at email@example.com if you have some thing/s to donate!
Can you help out at the library?
If you are interested in volunteering, contact Julia at firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO FIND US
Address: 480 Lygon Street, Carlton Public Housing Estate, Carlton, VIC, 3053
Transport information: The Open Door office is located at the base of the 480 public housing building, next to stop #113 on the #6 and #1 tram lines.
Phone: 0491 133 317
WEDNESDAY – FRIDAY 9.30AM-12.30PM
Open Door has access for people with disabilities.